Short and simple: I am a single Father of four in my early 30′s who has claimed the gift of immortality and imagination, I have a quick sense of humor that’s wise cracking but often dry enough that some people miss it. (It doesn’t matter because I crack me up)
I feel that over the years I’ve both had a blessed life and gone through the crucible in some ways you can imagine that I was like a raw nugget of gold still covered with rocks, and over the years the rough edges and dross have been melted off despite (because of) it all I’ve come out the other end… shinier.
As for the intricate details of what makes me, me I’ll try to be as specifically vague as possible.I’ll start with the beginning, my name: believe it or not, my name is not Durante, but let me explain where that name came from. Once upon a time, for one reason or another I read the Divine Comedy by Durante degli Alighieri, but he was commonly known as Dante. I’ve gone by many names on the internet, but this is perhaps one of my favorite, I loved reading the book (listening to it on Audio) I found it intelligent, metaphorical, rich, and deep. Very few books have ever required so much thought from me to put it into so many possible perspectives. I picked the name Durante because it’s an obscure reference to an obscure author of something a relatively few have read.
Next: How old am I:
I am an extremely young immortal, or an somewhat experienced man. I’ll not be mistaken for a boy neither will I find welcome with the aged. I consider myself the ideal age for who I am at this stage of my life. I’ve not gone through life with my eyes closed which gives me added perspective and something some people would call wisdom. I do feel the turnings of time, but differently than most, a day is a day and a week is a week, but it’s different when you plan on living forever. (realistically, why not be an optimist?) I’m a Libra (that fits here)
I am a comfortable height, (5′ 9″) and a comfortable weight. I’ve never been heavier than I am right now, but I’ve also never had less body fat than I do right now. (okay, maybe when I was a teenager, but that doesn’t count, I was growing) I’m athletic and you can tell by looking at me that I am interested in bodybuilding and nutrition.
I was in the military (Air Force) … once; I have a Masters in Computer Information Systems, and work most often as project manager. I have blue eyes, blond hair (dirty blond), I’m Caucasian’ey, I literally sparkle in the sunlight and also like a vampire, I then light on fire. Politically I label myself as an independent, the reason why is that I like to keep my options open. I believe in balance, intelligently weighing my options, and picking what I feel is best after my own personal research… I prefer to think for myself and not be told how I should think about something. I don’t watch television, without netflix I wouldn’t have a chance in the world of catching up on most of what is on out there, and even with it, I barely have a chance of knowing what’s going on out there. I do have a television though, and I enjoy movies, I just don’t like to waste my time being towed by the nose from one commercial break to another. I live in Tucson, Arizona; I’ve lived all over the west, I’m originally from Idaho, so no matter where I roam that’s where I call home.
These are things I could talk about for hours, or days, or weeks and probably never get tired of it. I should simply list the ones I can remember of them:
- My Religion (I’m LDS (Mormon) and it’s amazing, and awesome, and I love it!!! I couldn’t recommend it more highly if I wrote this line with proper grammar!!!)
- Self Improvement
- Health (I include Martial arts here)
- Star Wars (I’m totally a dork)
- Science Fiction – (Including star trek, science, discovery, physics, ‘the universe, and everything’)
- Super Heroes (I don’t personally own any super hero comic books, but I have wikipedia’d almost every major super hero and their friends… and their enemies.)
- Ballroom Dance
- Christmas (well most holidays, but this one is my favorite!)
- Cooking (I’m a pretty amazing cook)
- Arts and Crafts (I took Home economics instead of shop in school, Michael Whelan and Monet are my favorite artists; I like most museums too… not the dead body exhibits but all the others.)
- Parenting (I’m a really good Father, and I love my children, I can bore you for hours talking about how amazing each one is!)
- New Age / Classical Music (mellow music)
- Games (Video games and board games, particularly the Role playing computer games)
- Swimming (Including Scuba Diving with this one, and snorkling) I could live in the water, I love almost everything about it.
- RAIN!!! (snow too, but differently)
- Romance!!! (flowers and sensual stuff – in the right time and place)
- Travel (also I’ve studied a lot about private islands, that fits in here.)
- End of the world scenerios (food storage / survival goes here too)
- 007 (I’ve even read a few of the books)
- Dreams (everything to do with dreams from lucid dreaming to interpreting them.)
- Intelligence (Including MENSA and puzzles, riddles, and LOVE problem solving)
- Reading (Mostly Audio books to be honest, but that’s because there’s a lot to do and I can listen while I do it.)
Things I’m Anti-Passionate About: (Things that put me to sleep before the words leave someone’s mouth)
- Sports (pretty much all of the ones that involve a ball or puck or something)
- I might forgive fencing, but please don’t make me watch it unless it’s really awesome!
- pets – I had some growing up so I can hold my own in a conversation, but in general it’s not a big thing with me.
- Celebrities – it can be interesting sometimes, but so can most Doctor visits.
- Most hard rock, or heavy metal, or rap… (country too most of the time) Lyrics mean a LOT to me, and if someone has something to say it needs to be worth saying, worth listening to, and clear enough to understand.
- Nightclubs – (this includes drinking, wine tasting, being drunk, smoking, … even doing drugs, I have no frame of reference and no desire for one, a conversation couldn’t be more dead with me if it involves this stuff.)
- Body piercing and Tattoo’s, – no interest, no feigned interest.
Things I hate:
- Obvious evil things (The things people go to prison for)
Things I look for in people:
- Sympathy / Empathy
- Creativity (making the most of their talents and getting new ones is huge)
- Capability (that includes Drive, talent, vision, potential)
Just a final note; I think I’m pretty great, and I think most of the people I meet are amazing. I like to find the absolute best in people and try to enhance it in any way that I can. I do not believe that the best friends are the ones that will wake up in jail with you the next day saying “we had a great time.” but the ones who keep you from going down that path in the first place.